As a customer, you may be entitled to benefits that can help you pay your rent. This page helps to explain these benefits and how to apply for them.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit which supports people who are out of work or on a low income. It replaces a number of benefits including Housing Benefit. If your payment includes help towards your rent, you will be responsible for making sure this money is paid to us.

For more information and to ensure you are ready for Universal Credit download our leaflet.

Universal Credit video

Universal Credit has been rolled out to all areas. See the video below which explains all you need to know.

The East Suffolk councils and Citizens Advice Bureau have teamed up to tell you more in this video.

Online Guide

With Universal Credit replacing six other benefits, it’s important you are aware of your entitlement and how to make a claim.

Click the link below to register for a free online course which will show you how to make your claim online and what information you will need to do this.

Financial Support Officers

We have a new role of Financial Support Officer within our Housing Teams to provide you will free advice and support. Find out more about they can help under the 'Money advice' section here.

Welfare reform and benefits

To help you to work out what benefits you are entitled to use the government benefits calculator here:



Housing Benefit

You may qualify for help towards paying your rent through Housing Benefit which is paid by your local council. Please contact them to establish if you are eligible to make a claim. It is available to help people in low-paid employment and people not in work. You will be responsible for providing all the information that your local council asks for in assessing your Housing benefit claim, and it is very important that you claim as soon as you can. Any entitlement will start from the day you submit your claim. You are also responsible for telling the council when your circumstances change. Remember - even if you receive Housing Benefit, you're still responsible for ensuring that you pay your rent.

Bedroom Tax

Bedroom tax, also known as removal of the spare room subsidy or under occupancy charge, is a change to the Housing Benefit, or Housing Element of Universal Credit entitlement that states your payment for housing will be reduced if you are deemed to have a spare bedroom/s. You will be affected if you are of working age, between 16 and 64 years of age.

  • Having one spare bedroom means the rent on which your housing payment is calculated will be reduced by 14%.
  • Have two or more spare bedrooms means the rent on which your housing payment is calculated will be reduced by 25%

Find out more about Bedroom Tax

Benefit cap

There is a limit on the total amount of benefit that most people aged 16 to 64 can get. This is called the benefit cap.

If you are affected, your Housing Benefit payment will go down, so that the total amount of benefits you receive will not be more than the cap level. If you are already receiving Universal Credit, the reduction will be taken from the housing element (no reduction will be made to the childcare element).

If you are a pensioner, you will not be affected. You can use the benefit cap calculator to estimate how much you might lose.

Direct Debit is one of the simplest ways to pay your rent. It is easy to set up, it's more convenient and gives you greater control over your money.

It is quick and easy to pay your rent online. You just need your agreement reference number and your postcode.

Have your agreement reference number and debit card to hand, you can use our automated service or speak to one of our Customer Managers by calling us.

Chat to our virtual agent

Chat to our virtual agent

Your details