We’ve made some changes to the way we work, to help offer more local services, listening to you to improve what we do. Our housing team are dedicated to helping you with your tenancy, your rent, and moving home. If you need to speak with us, please get in touch

We know life isn’t always straight forward, so if you are experiencing difficulties paying your rent, please let us know as soon as you can. We are here to help. 

Pay rent online

Check your balance

Order a statement

Set up a Direct Debit

Direct Debit is one of the simplest ways to pay your rent. It is easy to set up, it's more convenient and gives you greater control over your money.

Pay over the phone

You can pay your rent over the phone by using our automated service or speak to one of our Customer Service Advisors.

Use a swipe

We offer a swipe card to pay you rent, in association with Allpay. It’s quick and free to use  at any Post Office or Paypoint outlet. Contact us for more information.

Rent free weeks

If applicable to you, this year, our rent-free weeks are:

20 December 2021

27 December 2021

Remember, you’ll only get a rent-free week if your account is up to date with no arrears.  

Service charges

Depending on the home you have, you may be asked to pay a service charge in addition to your rent. The service charge is different from your rent because it is used to pay for any services or benefits that are shared between you and your neighbours. Refer to your tenancy agreement for details of the services included. If you think you will have problems making a payment or have any questions about your rent please contact your Housing Officer.

Universal Credit and benefits

As a customer, you may be entitled to benefits that can help you pay your rent. Below we will help to explain these benefits and how to apply for them. 

To help you to work out what benefits you are entitled to use the government benefits calculator here: https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators 

Universal credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit which supports people who are out of work or on a low income. It replaces a number of benefits including Housing Benefit. If your payment includes help towards your rent, you will be responsible for making sure this money is paid to us. 

For more information and to ensure you are ready for Universal Credit download our leaflet.

Click the link below to register for a free online course which will show you how to make your claim online and what information you will need to do this. 

Universal Credit has been rolled out to all areas. See the video below which explains all you need to know. 

Housing benefit

You may qualify for help towards paying your rent through Housing benefit which is paid by your local council. Please contact them to establish if you are eligible to make a claim. It is available to help people in low-paid employment and people not in work. You will be responsible for providing all the information that your local council asks for in assessing your Housing benefit claim, and it is very important that you claim as soon as you can. Any entitlement will start from the day you submit your claim. You are also responsible for telling the council when your circumstances change. Remember - even if you receive Housing benefit, you're still responsible for ensuring that you pay your rent.

Bedroom tax

Bedroom tax, also known as removal of the spare room subsidy or under occupancy charge, is a change to the Housing Benefit, or Housing Element of Universal Credit entitlement that states your payment for housing will be reduced if you are deemed to have a spare bedroom/s. You will be affected if you are of working age, between 16 and 64 years of age.

  • Having one spare bedroom means the rent on which your housing payment is calculated will be reduced by 14%.
  • Have two or more spare bedrooms means the rent on which your housing payment is calculated will be reduced by 25%

Find out more about Bedroom Tax

Benefit cap

There is a limit on the total amount of benefit that most people aged 16 to 64 can get. This is called the benefit cap.

If you are affected, your Housing Benefit payment will go down, so that the total amount of benefits you receive will not be more than the cap level. If you are already receiving Universal Credit, the reduction will be taken from the housing element (no reduction will be made to the childcare element).

If you are a pensioner, you will not be affected. You can use the benefit cap calculator to estimate how much you might lose.

Financial Support

Financial Support Officers within our Housing Teams can help by providing you will free advice and support.

They can help both new and existing customers on a range of issues, such as: 

  • Budgeting 
  • Welfare Benefit Guidance 
  • Referrals to support agencies 


Depending on circumstances, they can:

  • Provide information on how to set up affordable and achievable payment arrangements to manage your rent arrears.
  • Assist you to complete and manage claims for benefits including Universal Credit
  • Assist you to claim discretionary housing payment from your local authority (to help cover housing costs)
  • Provide information on support agencies in your area and assist with referrals, if required. 


Call 0808 168 4555 to contact a Financial Support Officer.

Here are some other helpful websites

  • Advice Guide - online money help from the Citizens Advice Bureau.
  • Civil Legal Advice - Check to see if you are able to get free and confidential advice as part of legal aid.
  • StepChange Debt Charity - a registered charity offering free, confidential advice and support to anyone who is worried about debt.
  • HM Revenue & Customs - find out more about the tax credits and benefits you may be entitled to.
  • EntitledTo - find out exactly what tax credits and benefits you are entitled to by filling in this online form.
  • National Debtline - free debt advice and support for people with money worries and debt problems.
  • The Money Charity - is a national money education charity which aims to help people handle their money well
  • AdviceUKAdviceUK is the UK's largest support network for free, independent advice centres. 
  • Christians Against Poverty - Free local services, run through local churches, to help tackle poverty.

Additional help with housing costs - Discretionary Housing Payments

In special circumstances local authorities can make a Discretionary Housing Payment to give extra help with rent. If the amount you get from Universal Credit or Housing Benefit is not enough to meet your rent, you can apply for a DHP.

If you have rent arrears that are preventing you from moving to a more affordable property or you want to move but can't afford the rent deposit, rent in advance or moving costs, your local authority can help with DHP.

Each application is assessed based on the applicant's individual circumstances - to find out more visit your local authority's website and look for discretionary payments.